Immigration Blog

Immigration Blog

Fiancé(e) Visas

If you are living in your home county, your other half is a U.S. citizen, and both of you decide you should come to the United States to live together as husband and wife, a fiancé(e) visa can be a solution. When you obtain the fiancé(e) visa, you have to enter into the United States and marry your fiancé(e) within 90 days. And then you can start the process to have your green card.

One important thing for you to know is that you can get your green card only through the marriage to your fiancé(e). And not all marriages have happy endings. And then things can get complicated if you are not careful.

If you have problems in your marriage or if your marriage ends in a divorce, you may still get your green card. But you may need help with the process. If you need assistance, get in touch with an immigration lawyer who can help you.




Deportation Defense

Deportation defense can also be called crimmigration. And crimmigration stands for Criminal Immigration. Crimmigration is when a person who has a green card (is not a U.S. citizen) did something that landed him or her in court and there can be convictions and prison time involved. After that person serves time in prison, it is not over. Now that person may have to deal with ICE or Immigration.

This is very tricky because it is not easy to understand how a person who has already served time in prison is sent to prison again. Again, after the person serves time in state prison, Immigration will likely take over depending on the case.

To avoid headaches, once a person with a green card has to go to court, that person should consider talking to a criminal defense lawyer and at the same time consult with an immigration lawyer. The earlier that person takes this step, the better it is.

Immigration cases can be challenging. If you, a friend, or a family member is found in this situation, call Laroche Law Office, LLC at 617-553-2849 for assistance.


Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

What is DACA?

On June 15, 2012, President Obama signed a memo that allows certain people who came into the United States before they were 16 years old to apply for deferred action.

What is Deferred Action?

Deferred action means that a person who is in the United States illegally is allowed to remain in the country under that action for a period of time. And during that period of time, immigration is not going to question that person’s legal status in the United States.

There are certain conditions that have to be met for a person to be eligible for deferred action or DACA. These conditions include:

  • enter into the United States before the age of 16
  • enter into the United States without “papers” or the “papers” expired as of June 15, 2012
  • be physically in the United States on June 15, 2012 and when you are filing the DACA application
  • reside in the United States since June 15, 2007 to the present without interruption (there are some exceptions)
  • be under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012
  • graduate from high school, have your GED, or enroll in school or a school program
  • no felony convictions or some other criminal records

Know these:

  • If you are granted deferred action or DACA, it is good for a period of 2 years.
  • Deferred action may be renewed.
  • If you are granted DACA, you will also get work authorization.
  • If immigration starts actions to remove you from the United States, you may still be eligible for DACA.
  • If you have DACA, that does not help you get a green card. But if you have DACA, you can remain in the United States for a period of 2 years, which can be renewed. And you will have authorization to work in the United States.

If you need assistance from an immigration lawyer to apply for DACA, feel free to contact Laroche Law Office, LLC at 617-553-2849 or



Removing Conditions on Your Green Card

If you got married and you got your green card through that marriage in less than 2 years after the marriage, immigration places conditions on your green card for 2 years. Those conditions must be removed for you to have permanent residence in the United States.

The conditions must be removed before the 2 years expire, and your spouse has to file the application with you to remove those conditions.

What if the marriage ends before those 2 years expire?

What if your spouse is abusing you?

What if it would be extremely difficult for you to return to your home county?

Whether you and your spouse need to remove the conditions on your green card or you answer “yes” to any or all of the questions above, you may need help from an immigration lawyer. You don’t have to go through it all by yourself. Feel free to contact Laroche Law Office, LLC at 617-553-2849 or for assistance.


Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

You are married. You don’t have a green card. If the person you are married to is abusing you, continue reading.  

Fear no more. 

You don’t need the help of your abuser to get your green card. A lawyer can help you get your green card. Thanks to VAWA. 

What is VAWA? 

  • VAWA stands for Violence Against Women Act. The United States government created VAWA to protect women from abuse. Men and children who have been subjected to abuse are also protected under this law.

How does VAWA protect you?

  • VAWA allows you to file the application for a green card by yourself. You don’t need help from the person who is abusing you to do this. Immigration will not contact the person who is abusing you at all. Your children will also get their green card based on your application.
  • If it is your child who is being abused by your spouse or partner, your child will be able to file the application for a green card by himself or herself. And in this case you will be able to get your green card based on your child’s application.

What is abuse?

  • Abuse can take different forms, such as:
    • physical abuse
    • economical abuse
    • emotional abuse
    • sexual abuse
    • psychological abuse

Instances of abuse include:

  • grabbing; kicking; punching; biting; pinching; slapping; hitting; shoving; being forced to have sex after physical beating or just being forced to have sex; not allowing you to have money; using money as power over you; calling you names; putting you down; insulting you; using silent treatment to punish you; isolating you from friends, family members, and school; not allowing you to work; using intimidation to control you; creating fear or attempting to create fear to control you …

Feel free to contact Laroche Law Office, LLC for assistance at 617-553-2849 or